Refreshing our homes is a weekly chore but there are tons of things we can do on the day-to-day to keep our homes in tip-top functioning order; and if you’re anything like me, you usually pick a day and binge-clean until your home is sparkling. But, that doesn’t have to be your entire day-off. If you’re struggling against a messy home, you might consider a different approach to your daily habits if you’re looking to redistribute your time to focus more on yourself in the new year.
By implementing 10-minute tasks, you can keep your home clean throughout the week and keep your weekends for yourself. Choose three to five quick tasks per day and focus on those, and you might find yourself with more time on the weekends and more motivation once you started.
10-minute tasks are designed to break larger cleaning chores into bite-size, manageable tasks that both work towards the larger task and make your days more filled and intentional. Don’t have an entire weekend to detail your home? No problem. Add a few minutes a day to get it done one check-marked-box at a time.
- Wipe the kitchen counters to get the daily grime off from cooking and cutting vegetables for dinners and lunches. This should take less than five minutes.
- Empty or repack your dishwasher to stay on top of your dirty versus clean dishes and keep your sink empty and functional.
- Dust a different room every day – or a least a few days a week. Why not during commercials? Or while you’re waiting for your tea to steep?
- Scrub the shower while you’re in there. You may plan on using GREEN cleaning methods, but it makes for an easy task while you’re waiting for the conditioner to work its magic.
- Waiting for water to boil? Clean the microwave. A lemon and a sponge or towel should do the trick. Easy and quick but make a difference in your kitchen!
- Take out all the trash & recycle and put it in their respective containers.
- Sweep and/or vacuum the floors in your home. Though it may seem small, it can make a world of difference.
- Start a load of laundry or grab one from the dryer and put it away. When we get down to it, putting away a singular load of laundry takes minutes, usually less than 10, so why not do it as soon as the load is done?
- Wash your dishes as you go and put them in the washer.
- Clean out your refrigerator and/or freezer. I feel like we sometimes get in the set-it-and-forget-it mentality where we put something somewhere and then completely forget about it. Like those leftovers from two weekends ago that you never got back around to finishing. Take a few minutes and throw out old or expired foods from your shelves.
- Go through that stack of mail. Shred and recycle junk mail, stack or pay your bills, and create an organizational habit that ritualizes your mailing tasks.
- Scrub and clean your floor in sections. If you want to get into the nitty-gritty of your home, start by scrubbing your tile floors – and to make it even easier, create section of floors. By the end of the week, your entire floor will be scrubbed clean and it won’t feel like you’ve just spend ten hours doing it.
- Clean out your car. Did you forget to bring in those bags from beach last weekend? Or maybe you forgot to replace your reusable bags in the backseat. Either way, refreshing your car on a monthly basis can make it feel like a comfy extension to your home, versus just a tool you basically live in for fifteen hours a week.
- Clean your interior windows – and if you’re feeling mighty motivated, clean the outside one’s, too!
- Do a swift vinegar clean.
- Update your weekly and/or monthly calendar and to-do list. We all have things that popup or move throughout the month. Why not update your calendar as you go? Or at least when you can settle enough.
- Clean your drip pans, toaster, convection oven, or any other small appliances. Small tasks, building to larger tasks. By now, you’ve cleaned the surfaces, floors, small appliances, and done a load of dishes. Your kitchen is basically cleaned by now.
- Plan a quick bedroom pick me up! There’s something to be said about going to sleep and waking up in a refreshed room, and it can set the mood up for the rest of your day! Plan a little tidying project every few days, like picking up your clothes, emptying the garbage, and wiping down the surfaces can make the week a little brighter.
These tasks are designed to help you stay on top of your weekly chores and help better manage your home in today’s fast-paced, ever-changing world. With just small, subtle change to your daily routine, by mixing it up, you’ll find yourself with more things that are done and checked off. These tasks are small, but mighty.
What little things do you like to do during the week that help your home and family?
ABOUT WINDERMERE MERCER ISLAND
We earn the trust and loyalty of our brokers and clients by doing real estate exceptionally well. The leader in our market, we deliver client-focused service in an authentic, collaborative and transparent manner and with the unmatched knowledge and expertise that comes from decades of experience.
© Copyright 2018.